Volunteer Income Tax Assistance assists in tax preparation
By Cpl. Brianna Christensen
| Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton | January 27, 2014
CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. --
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Facts:
- The VITA program provides free individual income tax preparation for all military personnel and family members eligible for legal assistance.
- The VITA program on base has 31 Marines and sailors who have been trained by the IRS and the California State Franchise Tax Board in tax refunds.
- The volunteers received one week of training for federal taxes and one week of training for state taxes.
- VITA's office is located on Mainside in Bldg. 1687.
- The VITA office will be opened Feb. 3.
- VITA’s office is open Mon.-Fri. from 8:00 a.m.- 6 p.m. and Sat. 8:00 a.m. -3 p.m. It is closed on Sundays.
- VITA does accept appointments, call (760) 763-2518 to speak to a VITA clerk.
- VITA now has the ability to send tax preparers to your units to bring Marines up to full tax prepared readiness.
- The last day taxes can be turned into VITA is April 15, but it is best to do your returns early.
- Customers will need to bring their Military ID, all W2s, Social Security Cards of anyone they intend to claim, all IRS forms and documentation for itemized deductions.
For more information call (760) 763-2518 or visit http://www.pendleton.marines.mil/Services/IncomeTaxAssistance.aspx