HomeServicesDMOPassenger Travel
Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton


Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton

"The West Coast's Premier Expeditionary Training Base"

If you would like to visit another Passport Office you MUST contact that office prior to travelling to their facility.
Passenger Travel
Collapse All Expand All
To make arrangements for commercial, air travel, car rental, and hotel accommodations under Temporary Additional Duty (TAD) or Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders, members should call the Commercial Travel Office (CTO) Scheduled Airline Travel Office (SATO) at 725-4396. Hours of operation are from 0800 to 1630.

Reservations can also be made online at the SATO website,

Once you have your ticket, you can view the itinerary at

The Traffic Management Office (TMO) is located in Bldg 2263. Hours of operation are from 0730 to 1630. The Passenger Section can be reached at (760) 725-8637 or DSN 365-8637. Once reservations are made, the traveler must come to the TMO office with original and 2 copies of orders to pick up airline tickets. At that time, TMO will endorse the orders and authorize travel. Reservations must comply with orders, and the use of contract carrier is mandatory.

TMOs are directed by the Defense Traffic Management Regulation (DTR), MCO P4600.14 to comply with and enforce the policies, procedures and regulations pertaining to defense sponsored travel and transportation. This includes determining the availability or non-availability of government air transportation in connection with arranging international or transoceanic travel.

Transportation is an entitlement for travel of civilians, military personnel and/or dependents. The nature (accompanied/unaccompanied) and duration of the individual's assignment to a particular station determine the legal right to one or more of the allowances. Travel and transportation allowances authorized at government expense for military and civilian personnel are prescribed by theJFTR, Volume 1 and JTR Volume 2. The JFTR and JTR are implemented by the Secretaries of the Armed Services in accordance with authority contained in public law. They are regarded as statutory regulations having the force and effect of law. The JFTR/JTR must be used in determining entitlement of military and civilian personnel of the Marine Corps to travel and transportation allowances at government expense.
Marine Corps policy requires travel be directed only when it is in the best interest of the government.
Travel orders establish the authorization for official travel and transportation at government expense, and provides the basis for the traveler's reimbursement. Orders must be endorsed to describe transportation furnished. Personnel traveling on official business are expected to exercise prudence in incurring travel expenses. Authorization for the performance of local travel by verbal, letter or message, or by travel order is deemed appropriate for funding approval purposes.

Commercial transportation shall be employed for the travel of persons between points within CONUS when such transportation is readily available and capable of meeting mission requirements. Travel by other modes, such as passenger vehicle, may be authorized as advantageous only when the use of common carrier transportation would seriously interfere with the performance of official business, impose an undue hardship on the traveler, or when the total cost by common carrier would exceed the cost by some other method of transportation.
Order writing activities/administrative officers and individuals shall identify travel requirements to the transportation office as soon as specific travel dates are established. Reservations need not be delayed until orders have been received. Timely identification of travel requirements will enhance the opportunity to use reduced fares.

Government transportation (AMC) shall be employed for the travel of persons beyond the mainland boundaries of the United States when such transportation is available and meets the requirements of the Marine Corps.

The commercial transportation industry is an important supplement to the Defense Transportation System, and interface with the industry must be made in a responsible manner. When commercial carriers offer assets in response to valid DoD requirements, these assets are unavailable for commercial use. The carrier is, in many cases, turning away potential revenue from the civilian sector in order to move military requirements. If reservations are canceled at the last minute, the carrier either is unable to sell or has difficulty selling seats. Accordingly, when commercial reservations are made, there must be a valid requirement and a clear intent to execute the travel via this means. Without the utmost of integrity in dealing with commercial carriers, TMO's cannot establish the credibility and trust essential in time of actual emergency.
All Marine Corps sponsored travelers, to include infants, are entitled to a separate seat when traveling on government and government-procured transportation. Infants shall be transported in appropriate infant seats for safety purposes.

When traveling between city/airport-pairs, contract air or rail service is the primary fare for official government travel. While fares equal to or lower than contract fares subsequently may be offered by competing, non-contract carriers on some routes, the government remains obligated to use contract carriers unless they fail to meet mission needs or qualify under one of the exceptions listed below.

  • Space or scheduled flights were not available in time to accomplish the purpose of travel.
  • Use of contract service would require the traveler to incur unnecessary overnight lodging costs which would increase the total cost of the trip; or
  • The contractor's flight schedule is inconsistent with/will not meet mission requirements or where applicable, does not allow travel during normal working hours; or
  • A non-contract carrier offers a lower fare available to the general public, the use of which will result in a lower total trip cost to the Government, to include the combined costs of transportation, lodging, meals and related expenses, provided the unit is prepared to accept the penalties when this travel is selected and subsequently cancelled for any reason.
Carrier tariffs prohibit use of contract fares for circuitous travel and personal use. Transportation costs in excess of transportation from origin to destination via the most direct route cannot be charged to the GTR.

Airlines offer restricted fares at a far lower price than unrestricted fares. These fares are often cheaper than government contract fares; however, the restrictions make them an undesirable option. The restrictions may include various travel requirements such as round trip and minimum stay, as well as penalties for change and/or cancellation. These fares have penalties that apply when a ticket/itinerary is changed or canceled. Penalties normally range from 25 to 100 percent of the value of the ticket. Restricted airfares lower than contract airfares may be authorized by the TMO when they meet mission requirements, the restrictions are acceptable to the command, and they do not place an unavoidable burden on the travelers. The lower fare(s) may be used based on an application of exception number 3 above. TMO will not select a non-contract fare with restrictions when a government contract fare exists unless requested by the command for TAD travel.

  • When a restricted fare is requested by the unit, this information will be requested in the travel orders using the statement "Restricted fare requested and, if levied, cancellation/penalty fee authorized by (activity name)." This statement acknowledges the fact that the order-issuing authority understands the risks involved and accepts the fact that if the orders are canceled or modified after issuance of tickets, the penalty fee will be charged against their travel funds whether or not travel is performed.
  • Application of the Administrative Service Fee. Administrative service fees levied by airlines on restricted fares are not payable by the government unless the change was the result of an official action. The traveler will require written justification (orders modification, etc.) to substantiate the change.

    Changes for personal convenience are paid by the traveler
Consistent with DoD policy, Marine Corps sponsored travelers who are authorized to use commercial air carriers within or outside the United States for official business will use less than first-class accommodations.

Approving Authority for the Use of First-Class Air Accommodations.   Regardless of rank when circumstances require first-class air travel, authorization must be obtained from the Secretary of the Navy via the Commandant of the Marine Corps (Code MMOS).

Procedures/Circumstances Required for First-Class Air Travel. First-class air travel can only be used when exceptional circumstances dictate use of this class accommodation. Such circumstances primarily involve considerations of security and when travel must be performed at a specific time and no other accommodations are available. Authorization for the use of first-class air accommodations shall be made in advance of the actual travel unless extenuating circumstances or emergency situations make advance authorization impossible. If advance authorization cannot be obtained, written approval from the CMC, Code MMOS shall be obtained at the earliest possible time.

Prior authorization or subsequent approval not required when:

  • First-class is the only service offered between origin and destination, including connecting points. The traveler must certify the single class of service on the travel voucher.
  • A traveler wishes to fly first-class, paying the additional charge to the carrier or CTO from personal funds.
Blanket approval (prior authorization or subsequent approval not required) when:

  • The Chief of Mortuary Affairs determines that coach class accommodations for person escorting remains will not allow arrival in time to meet funeral home and burial commitments.
  • Marine Corps escort officers are required to accompany foreign military officers, provided all costs are paid from foreign military sales funds.
Blanket Authority Granted to Individuals. The Secretary of the Navy may grant blanket authority to an individual for use of first-class travel on a continuing basis. This is done only in exceptional cases of unquestionable justification, such as a physically handicapped person incapable of traveling in less than first-class accommodations. When travel occurs under such authority, it is required that the date of the blanket authority, date of travel and the route traveled be reported to the Commandant of the Marine Corps (Code MMOS).

Documentation and Reporting First Class Travel. In all cases, proper documentation must be maintained to support first-class travel. The transportation endorsement to the original orders shall contain the reason for use of first-class accommodations and the approving agency. In the absence of authorization or approval, the traveler is responsible for all additional costs resulting from the use of first-class travel.

Business class travel will only be arranged for the following circumstances.

  • If coach class is not available and the only other alternative that would meet the mission is the use of foreign flag air transportation, the local transportation officer or appropriate authority may approve business class travel on U.S. flag air carriers. This policy applies to all personnel traveling on official business. Refer to JFTR paragraph U3125-B2  The T/O will endorse the original orders accordingly.
  • Business class travel is required to support mission requirements. The order writer must place a statement in the original orders indicating “mission requirement requires business class accommodations”. Flights in excess of 14 hours alone do not support the use of business class unless the orders contain a statement indicating business class required to support mission requirements.
  • Coach or economy class is the only level of service authorized for domestic flights. This policy applies to Foreign Military Sales (FMS).
E- Tickets are available if required.

Unless otherwise stated in travel orders as a mission requirement, a subcompact rental car will be selected.
Portcall Procedures:

The unit's portcall representative e-mails a request to the Portcall Section at the TMO Passenger Travel Section.

A flight is booked either on AMC or commercial.

An e-mail confirmation letter (transportation endorsement) is sent back to the requesting unit.

The information in the confirmation letter is used by the unit to type the orders. A copy of the confirmation letter becomes part of the package.

The unit representative must come into the TMO Passenger Travel Section with original and two copies of the orders to pick up his/her travelope (AMC) or commercial ticket.

To request Government bus transportation, unit's must submit a request to the TMO Office via email or fax and follow up with a phone confirmation.  (Phone numbers:  Fax 725-8634, voice 725-3594.)  Unit’s must provide the cost appropriation data with the request.  Once the request has been made, TMO will provide the confirmation to the unit.

There must be a 24 hour notification for cancellation of this request.  If not, the unit will be charged for the full price of the bus service.

For Group Travel, units must call the Commercial Travel Office (CTO)/SATO at 725-4396 to make reservations. Groups are defined as a party of ten or more persons traveling together on the same day, on the same flight. Cancellation fees for group travel can be quite costly. Please contact TMO/CTO for more information prior to booking reservations. The unit representative will sign and pick up each ticket.

Reference: The provisions of U2000 of the JFTR and Code of Federal Regulations (CFR),5 CFR Part 2635, contain applicable instructions regarding these subjects.

If a traveler is denied boarding on commercial flights, the airline will provide the traveler with a letter stating the flight was overbooked. Any monetary compensation provided to the traveler as a result of the airline’s failure to provide confirmed reserved space is the property of the U.S Government and is to be turned over to the local disbursing office. If the airline provides a free airline ticket, this will be turned over to the local TMO for use by the traveler on a subsequent trip.
These payments, made because of airline over bookings, are distinguishable from penalty payments and can be retained by the traveler if he or she voluntarily relinquishes a seat on the condition that:

· The surrendering of the seat does not interfere with the performance of the traveler's official duties or mission accomplishment.

· Any additional travel expense incurred must be offset against such compensation by the traveler.

· If giving up the seat delays the traveler, the traveler is responsible for any lost time which may occur.

Participation in frequent flier programs is voluntary. A single account for government generated miles is required. Programs containing both official and unofficial miles are the property of the government per the JFTR.

Obtaining transportation on other than the least cost carrier, based upon the uncertain potential that such a decision would ultimately result in a cost savings, is not authorized. Official transportation will not be arranged on a carrier solely to obtain frequent flier points, free tickets, and any other amenities or gifts.

To the maximum extent practical, overall travel costs should be reduced by using benefits earned through frequent traveler programs to obtain free airline tickets, rooms, and rental vehicles. However, the member may elect to use earned mileage credits for accommodation upgrades while on official government travel.

Official travelers may accept free upgrading of service to first-class, membership in clubs and check-cashing privileges.

Official/No Fee Passport Application Procedures

Passport applications are accepted Monday through Friday, 0800-1600 at Bldg 2263. Applicants should call for an appointment at (760) 725-8637/3875. Walk-ins are accepted for emergency cases; please call ahead to check on the availability of the Passport Agent.

Turnaround time for passports is 6-8 weeks. Turnaround time for Visas is 3-4 weeks.
Recommend you apply as soon as possible.   BEGINNING 8 AUGUST 2011 ALL PASSPORTS MUST BE SIGNED IN ORDER TO OBTAIN VISA.

You will need the following documents with you when you apply for a passport:

- Passport application DS-11 or DS-82 version 12-2010  (Must be typed via website )

- Application for Official/ No Fee Passport and/or Visa (DD Form 1056)  Form must be typed and signed by the Commanding Officer or By direction.

- Proof of Citizenship: (Only one is required)

o Original Birth CertificateMust have embossed/raised seal, signature of registrar, file number and file date, BOTH birth parents’ names must be listed on the certificate .  (Copies, hospital certificates, birth registration cards, and ABSTRACTS OF BIRTH from the STATES OF CALIFORNIA & TEXAS are not acceptable)

o Previous passport.

o Original naturalization certificate for naturalized citizens.

**Passport applications cannot be accepted without one of the above**

-Two passport photos and any additional photos that may be required for Visas (usually one photo for each Visa is required.) Photos can be taken free of charge at Combat Camera, Bldg 2238.  Hours of Operation are Monday-Thursday 0730-1100 and 1300-1600, Friday 0730-1100 (760)725-6181. Photos can also be taken out in town for a fee.

-Copy of PCS or TAD orders.

-If under four weeks, an expedite letter is required. (ask for sample letter)

All applicants 16 years of age or older must appear in person with identification.

Public Law 106-113 requires that either parents or legal guardians appear in person before a passport acceptance agent and both must, under oath, sign the passport application for a child under the age of 15. There will, however, be circumstances when only one parent or no parent is available to apply for the child. Following are guidelines for each case.


When both parents or legal guardian(s) are available and able to appear in person to apply for the passport for the minor, they must be able to establish three things:

Their own identity. Parents or legal guardian must present one of the following:

· Valid Military ID Card

· Valid Driver’s License

· Valid US or foreign passport with recognizable photo

· Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship

· Alien Registration Card issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service

Their relationship to the child. The document submitted must show the names of the parents.

· Certified US Birth Record

· Certified Foreign Birth Record

· FS-240 Report of Birth Abroad

· DS-1350 Certification of Birth Abroad

· Adoption decree (must show adoptive parent’s names)

The child’s US citizenship. One of the following documents must be submitted for the child.

· Certified US Birth Record

· FS-240 Report of Birth

· DS-1350 Certification of Birth Abroad

· Naturalization Certificate

· Previous US Passport


The parent who appears in person must submit documentation to explain the absence of the other parent. One parent may sign the application if he/she can provide one of the following.

· Death Certificate of the other parent

· A non-notarized, signed statement from the absent parent consenting to the issuance of a passport for the minor

· The child’s certified Birth Record (US or foreign) which lists only the name of the parent making the application for the minor

· The child’s “Report of Birth Abroad” or “Certification of Birth Abroad” which lists only the name of the parent applying for the passport

· A court order granting sole custody to the parent who is making the application and which does not contain restrictions on the minor’s travel

· An adoption decree which lists the name of only the parent making the application.

· A judicial declaration of incompetence of the absent parent

· A copy of the commitment order or other comparable document for the incarcerated parent

If none of the above documentation is available, the parent who is applying for the passport must submit a non-notarized signed statement explaining why he/she cannot obtain the consent of the absent parent.


When there is no parent or guardian available to submit the application for the minor, then the person who applies for the child must appear in person with a NOTARIZED written statement or affidavit from either parents or custodial parent(s) authorizing him/her to apply for the passport of the minor. When the statement or affidavit is only from one parent, then evidence of sole custody must also be submitted.


When both parents (or both legal guardians) submit the application for the minor, the parents or guardians both must sign the application on the line in Item 21 of the DS-11 which is marked “Applicant’s Signature – Age 16 or older”. Until revised application forms are available, please follow this procedure.