Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton


Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton

"The West Coast's Premiere Expeditionary Training Base"
Claims & Foreclosures
The Legal Services Support Team, Civil Law Section, Marine Corps Base, Camp Pendleton, processes claims against the government made under the Personnel Claims Act, the Military Claims Act, and the Federal Tort Claims Act.


Service members and civilian employees who were ordered to evacuate during the May 2014 wildland fires may file a claim in accordance with Basegram 18-14

To submit travel claims, evacuated personnel/families must request evacuation orders as follows:

(1) For base permanent and fleet assistance program (FAP) personnel, H&HS air station personnel, and other non-I Marine Expeditionary Force tenant personnel, orders will be issued by the base military personnel office in building 130132 from 2 June through 1 July 2014, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday . Walk-ins are accepted or make an appointment by calling (760)763-3938 or (760)725-4675.

(2) For all personnel assigned to I MEF organizations, orders will be issued by the I MEF joint claims office in building 1687 (volunteer income tax assistance) office from 2 June to 1 July, between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Service members and civilian employees who were ordered to evacuate and did so with their family members may not file a joint claim. The service member and civilian employee must file individual claims and the family members must file a separate claim. Claims for lodging will be on the family member’s claim. There are no evacuation allowances for personnel who did not evacuate their homes. There is no reimbursement for lodging costs if staying with friends, family or in alternate

Government quarters, however, evacuees may be entitled to per diem. Please make sure claims include:

(1) A copy of evacuation orders (available at claims office).

(2) All lodging receipts. These receipts must have a zero balance.

(3) A filled out copy of the DD Form 1351-2.  For instructions how to properly fill out the form click this link 1351-2 Form.

C. In addition to the requirements above, the following information is needed for dependent(s) claim:

(1) Names and ages of all evacuated family members.

(2) Actual mileage from residence to safe haven/evacuation site.

(3) Number of owners/operators of vehicles used.

(4) Sponsor’s full name, rank, and social security number.

(5) Electronic funds transfer form with account information/routing number.



Service members and civilian employees who sustained damage to personal property that was lost, damaged, or destroyed as a result of the May 2014 wildland fires may file a claim in accordance with Basegram 18-14

Service members or other federal employees may substantiate a claim under the Personnel Claims Act for damage to personal property that was lost, damaged, or destroyed incident to service. A perfected claim requires the DD Form 1842 and 1844, the direct deposit form and a signed affidavit of private insurance. Other documentation may be required as well.

Service members trying to recover damages for property damage caused by activities of the federal government that was not incident to service may do so in accordance with the Military Claims Act. Civilians may also recover under this act for damages resulting from noncombat activity of a peculiarly military nature.

Civilians may also recover damages under the Federal Tort Claims Act for personal injury, death or property damage caused by the negligent conduct of federal employees acting within the scope of their employment.

For claims under the Military Claims Act and Federal Tort Claims Act, a perfected claim requires a completed SF 95, signed affidavit of private insurance and proof substantiating the claimed amount. Other documentation may be required on a case by case basis.

Claims packages may be submitted to our office by email, fax, or standard mail. Our address is as follows:

BOX 555023

For case specific questions, please call our office at (760) 725-5154.

Additionally, if you have any questions regarding travel or personnel claims consult Basegram 18-14 or call our office.



Foreclosures - Basegram 38-08
Basegram 18-14