Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton


Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton

"The West Coast's Premiere Expeditionary Training Base"


Provide Reserve Opportunities and Obligations to transitioning Active Component Marines at Transitioning Readiness Seminars.  Also to provide counseling on a one on one basis to further explain the benefits reserve service can provide the Marine and his family.


Q:  What does SMCR stand for?

A: Selected Marine Corps Reserve.  This is your typical one weekend a month 2 week of active training a year unit.

Q:  What does IMA stand for?

A:  Individual Mobilization Augmentee.  This program has billets that help augment active duty units.  The time as a reserve is the same for the year as the SMCR but it is up to the individual unit for when the Marine comes into work.

Q:  What does IRR stand for?

A:  Individual Ready Reserve.  If you have time left on your Military Service Obligation (MSO) this is the unit you will be part of after you have left active duty.

Q: What does "drill" mean?

A: this is the term the reserves use for training on the weekend.

Q:  Do I have to sign a new contract to join a reserve unit.

A: No.  If you are currently on your Military Service Obligation (MSO) you are on contract and are able to affiliate with a reserve unit on that contract.

Q:  Will I deploy if I join a reserve unit?

A:  If you are a member of a reserve unit that receives orders to mobilize you will mobilize with the unit.

Q:  Do I rate medical coverage if I am a reserve.

A:  On the drill weekends the member is covered from the time he leaves his house to the time he arrives back home.

Q:  Are there any Bonus's for affiliating with a reserve unit?

A:  Yes.  Each year bonus MARADMINs are published for Officers and Enlisted.  Current MARAMINS are 607/12, 604/12,579/12,and 572/12

Q:  Can I retrain to a new MOS?

A:  Yes.  If you meet the MOS manual requirements and there is an open billet at the unit you are joining and you are a Sgt/Capt and below you can retrain.  MARADMIN 570/12

Q:  Can I receive bonus composite score points if I join the reserves and I am a Corporal?

A:  yes.  Refer to MARDMIN 579/12

Q:  Can I retire in the reserves?

A:  Yes.  Reserve retirement is based on a point system like active duty is.  You must have 20 satisfactory years to be eligible.

Q:  Can I join the reserves if I am collecting disability from the VA?

A:  Yes.  If you are screened by a medical officer and found fit for full duty you can join a reserve unit.

Q:  Are there service limits for the reserves?

A:  Yes.  Service limits are the same as active duty, except for Sergeants.  A Sergeant can continue to serve until 13 years in the reserves.

Q:  What kind of training do reservists do?

A:  The same kind of training done on active duty.  All annual training requirements are done along with MOS training.

Q:  Can I attend resident PME?

A:  Yes Sergeants, Staff Sergeants, and Gunnery Sergeants can attend their resident PME during their 2 weeks of annual training.

The Reserve Transition and retention office is located in the 22 area at Bldg 2253 on the corner of 5th and D ave

Office 760-763-3426


Useful Link:

RSU / DPC menu