MCB Camp Pendleton
MCB Pendleton Seal

Effective Jan 1, 2020, all service-connected disabled veterans, Medal of Honor & Purple Heart recipients, former prisoners of war, VA benefits eligible veterans & primary veteran caregivers will be eligible to shop at the commissary, MCCS retail stores & participate in select MCCS recreational activities.

Those seeking access will need to bring the appropriate identification and documentation, if required.

For more information on the Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC), VA benefits eligible veterans or VA Authorized Caregiver letter holders follow the below links.

VHIC Card:
   (VHIC holders must register with the Visitors Center before gaining initial access.  Afterwards, VHIC holders can present the card to the gate sentry for access.)


VA benefits eligibility letter or VA Authorized Caregiver letter + Government Issued Photo ID (Real ID):
  (VA benefits eligible veterans & authorized caregivers must present above documentation & ID to obtain a DBIDS credential from the Visitors Center for access.)

For questions about eligibility & access, contact the Visitors Center at (760) 763-8435.

DoD answers top 10 questions on expanded commissary, exchange, MCCS/MWR access.
Fact Sheet
Press Release

Collapse All Expand All

Veterans awarded the Purple Heart or Medal of Honor, who are former prisoners of war, or have service-connected disability along with their caregivers are permitted to use the commissary, military exchange and MCCS facilities on the same basis as a member of the Armed Forces entitled to retired or retainer pay.

Veterans will need to enroll their VHIC or bring there VA Benefits Eligibility Letter and Real ID to the Visitor Control Center for DBIDS registration and installation access. Upon verification of the VHIC or letter by the Visitor Center, veterans will be required to enroll their Real ID driver’s license in the Defense Biometric Identification System (DBIDS). Those who do not possess a Real ID will be issued a DBIDS credential.

Correct - Separate VHIC enrollment is required at each installation.

To learn more, visit your local Department of Veterans Affairs medical facility or call 1-877-222-VETS (8387), Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m., Eastern Standard Time.


Yes - Bring your VA Benefits Eligibility Letter and Real ID to the Visitors Center to register in DBIDS for access.

Authorized caregivers are required to obtain a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs indicating eligibility for access to installations to utilize the commissary, exchange or MCCS facility. Upon verification of the letter by the Visitor Control Center, caregivers will be required to enroll their Real ID driver’s license in the Defense Biometric Identification System (DBIDS). Those who do not possess a Real ID will be issued a DBIDS credential.


Yes - Access does expire and re-enrollment is required.

    - Veterans with an enrolled VHIC, Real ID, or DBIDS Credential will be afforded access for 3 years.

    - Caregivers with an enrolled Real ID or DBIDS Credential will be afforded access for 1 year.

Authorized Veterans and Caretakers are afforded Trusted Traveler privileges on MCB Camp Pendleton and can escort visitors.  Per installation policy, adult escorted visitors must be in possession of an acceptable identity source document such as a valid government issued photo ID (e.g., Real ID Act compliant [or state approved extension] driver's license, state ID card, or passport) to establish their identity.  Minors do not require identification and are the responsibility of Veterans, Caregivers, or adult visitors who accompany them.

In addition to the Command Access Card and Uniformed Services ID card, the following credentials will be accepted after verification and enrollment in the Defense Biometric Identification System (DBIDS):
   (1) DBIDS card
   (2) Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
   (3) Real ID driver's license
   (4) Veteran's Health Identification Card (VHIC)
   (5) Personal Identity Verification (PIV) card
   (6) Personal Identity Verification Interoperability (PIV-I) card

Qualifying veterans and caregivers will have access to Category “C” revenue-generating MCCS activities. This includes golf courses, bowling alleys, movie theaters, food and beverage facilities, campground and lodging facilities, marinas, recreational cottages and cabins as well as tickets and travel offices. Access to outdoor recreation facilities and special events will be at the discretion of the installation commanding officers based on capacity. 

The patronage expansion does not include access to facilities and programs that are primarily subsidized with appropriated funds. This includes fitness centers, swimming pools, libraries, Single Marine Programs, and Child and Youth Programs (Child Development Centers, School Age Care, Youth Programs and Child Development Homes).

MCCS policy is governed by DOD Instruction 1015.15 (Establishment, Management and Control of Nonappropriated Fund Instrumentalities and Financial Management of Supporting Resources). Per the instruction, MWR programs and activities are classified into one of three funding categories:
  - Category A: Activities have virtually no capacity for generating nonappropriated (NAF) revenues and are supported almost entirely with appropriated funds (APF).
  - Category B: Activities are financed with a combination of NAF and APF resources.
  - Category C: Activities have the highest capability to generate NAF revenues and generally receive only indirect APF support, except as authorized by law.

Nonappropriated funds, or NAF, are monies derived from sources other than congressional appropriations and commissary surcharge funds, primarily from the sale of goods and services to Department of Defense military personnel and their family members that are used to support or provide MCCS programs.

Appropriated funds, or APF, are monies allocated by legislation passed by Congress and signed by the President.


Copy And Paste AtHoc Link Address:

The AtHoc button requires a government computer and a government Common Access Card (CAC) to enter site.