Department of Navy Fall Protection Guide Program Startup
Federal Regulation on General Industry Fall Protection SUBPART D (Walking Working Surfaces) - 29 CFR 1910.146
Federal Regulation on General Industry Fall Protection SUBPART F (Aerial Lifts, Bucket Trucks - 29 CFR 1910.146
Marine Corps Confined Space Entry Program - NAVMC 5100.8 Chapter 18
What you need to know
1) Identify all areas and operations that require Fall Protection. The DON Fall Protection Guide states that Fall Protection must be provided to DON civilians and military personnel exposed to Fall-Hazards on any elevated walking/working surface with unprotected sides, edges, or floor openings from which there is a possibility of falling 4 FEET or more to lower level including working from fixed ladders; or where there is a possibility of a fall from any height, onto dangerous equipment, into hazardous environment or onto an impalement hazard.
2) Evaluate these areas or operations using the Fall Hazard Survey form
3) Write up appropriate fall protection plans and an appropriate Job Hazard Analysis for each area and location.
4) If your personnel require Personal Fall Arrest Systems (PFAS) please send them to Fall Protection Authorized User training at the Installation Safety Office.
5) Ensure they are issued appropriate systems based on their need (Arrest, positioning, restraint) and size (harnesses) .
Examples of Fall Hazards: Roofs, Towers, Aerial Lifts, Manhole Edges, Wetwell Edges, Aircraft Maintenance, Vehicle Operations and Maintenance, Cliffside, Reservoir Maintenance.
For any and help with this please contact the Installation Fall Protection Program Manager Mr. Dale Waldren at 760-763-2366.