OSHA 29 CFR 1926.650 - Subpart P - Excavations
OSHA Fact Sheet - Trenching and Excavation - Download Here
Trenching and Excavation Daily Inspection Template - Download Here
OSHA Competent Person Role and Responsibility
What you need to know
1) All trenches and excavations must be free of recognized hazards.
2) All trenches and excavations require inspection by a command designated (in writing) competent person to ensure stability and safety.
3) All trenches and excavations that are 4 feet in depth or greater require a safe means of egress (ladder, stairway, ramp).
4) All trenches and excavations that are 5 feet in depth or greater require a protective system to safeguard personnel health (shoring, shielding, sloping, benching).
5) All trenches and excavations are assumed the classification of (Type C soil) unless they pass physical and visual tests by the competent person.
6) All trenches and excavations that are 4 feet in depth or greater are considered a confined space, and must be treated accordingly.
For additional information, please contact
Camilla Llantada @ (760) 763-5328
Mr. Dale Waldren @ (760) 763-2366
Or send an email to CPEN_SAFE_TRNG@usmc.mil