Unit HomeNewsNews Article Display
Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton


Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton

"The West Coast's Premier Fleet Marine Force Training Base"

Commanding General's Cup, Falcons vs Standard Bearers

By Sgt. Trevon S. Peracca | | August 27, 2014

The Marine Corps Air Station Miramar Falcons won their opening game with a 19-8 victory over the 1st Marine Division, Headquarters Battalion Standard Bearers at the Paige Fieldhouse football field, here, Aug 26.

The first quarter began with a chest bumping game for field positioning. The Falcons started with a solid passing game. Falcons quarterback Derek Nichols completed his first four passes before the offense was stopped by the Standard Bearers at the 20-yard line and pushed back even further by a penalty, forcing the Falcons to punt.

“We all have to go back to the chalk board; we all have a lot to work on,” said Carlice Moffet, Falcons head coach. “Hopefully we will see each other again down the line.”

The night was a grueling contest starring two defenses that consistently forced turnovers throughout the night. Near the first quarter, the Standard Bearers caught a spark with a swift pick-6 with less than 40 seconds left on the clock, ending the first quarter at 6-0.

Jabari Moore took over as Miramar’s quarterback in the second quarter after an injury sustained by starter Derek Nichols. Moore shifted momentum by throwing a touchdown pass to Falcon’s wide receiver Jose Rodriguez, bringing the score to 7-6 after the PAT. With a second quarter field goal, the Falcons held their lead 10-6 at halftime.

The third quarter was filled with even more penalties and turnovers by the Standard Bearers, but the Falcons were only able to capitalize with a field goal.

Moore threw another touchdown pass in the fourth quarter, extending their lead to 19-6.

"We should have scored so much more, but at the same time a lot of factors played into [our mistakes]," said Moore

With only nearly five minutes left in the game, the Falcons fumbled the ball in the end zone for a safety, putting the score at 19-8 which kept at the end of the fourth.