CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. --
OUT THESE 5 WAYS TO SAVE AND APPLY THEM AT HOME THIS HOLIDAY SEASON.
1. Replace incandescent holiday lights with energy efficient LED
lights. LED lights use 70% less energy and can last 50 times longer.
2. Plug holiday decorations into power strips. Even when you
aren’t using lights and electronics, they still draw small amounts of energy.
The average household spends $100 a year on unused plugged-in devices.
3. Entertaining for the holidays? Turn down the thermostat while
you have guests, the extra body heat will help warm the house. For every 1°F
you lower your thermostat, you can reduce your energy use by 1-3%.
4. Use timer controls to lower energy consumption and save
money. Timer controls allow you turn holiday lights on and off at specific
times while keeping your home in the holiday spirit.
5. Reduce fuel consumption by emptying packages and other items
from your car after each trip. An extra 100 pounds in your vehicle could
increase costs by up to $.08 a gallon.
DID YOU KNOW?
typical holiday light display that is on for 5 hours a day for 30 days uses
6,799 watts and costs $115. LED lights only use 903 watts and cost about $15 a
season – a savings of $100. Imagine all the holiday presents that could buy!