Unit HomeStaff & AgenciesHuman ResourcesEmploymentMilitary Spouse
Human Resources Office


Human Resources Office

Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton

Military Spouse Employment

In 2009, President Barack Obama signed an Executive Order that provides a non-competitive appointment authority for hiring certain qualified military spouses, spouses of disabled veterans, and un-remarried widows/widowers of veterans.
Spouses accompanying their military sponsor on a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move who meet all the following conditions:

• The sponsor must be serving on active duty for more than 180 consecutive days, must have been issued an order for a PCS, and be authorized for dependent travel as part of the PCS orders. 
• The spouse must have been married to the sponsor on or prior to the date of the service member’s orders authorizing the PCS. 
• The spouse must have relocated to the new duty station specified in the documentation ordering the PCS. 
• This appointment authority may only be used within 2 years and may only be used one time per PCS move. 
• The position must be in the local commuting area of the sponsor’s new duty station. 

Spouses of retired active duty military with a service-connected disability of 100 percent, as documented by a branch of the armed services. The spouse may apply to any position.
Spouses of active duty members released or discharged from active duty in the armed forces and have a disability rating of 100 percent, as documented by the Department of Veterans Affairs. The spouse may apply to any position.
Unmarried widows/widowers whose spouses were died while serving on active duty in the armed forces.

• May apply to any position. 
• It is not necessary that the active duty member was killed in combat. The death may have been the result of enemy attack, accident, disease, or natural causes.

You Should Know
Spouses must submit supporting documentation to our HR office. Documentation might include: 

• A copy of PCS orders authorizing the spouse to accompany the service member to a new duty location, and proof of marriage to the service member. 
• Proof the service member was released or discharged due to a 100 percent disability, and proof of marriage to the service member. 
• Proof of the service member’s death while on active duty, and proof of marriage to the service member.