• OSHA 29 CFR 1926.650 - Subpart P - Excavations
• OSHA Fact Sheet - Trenching and Excavation - Download Here
• Trenching and Excavation Daily Inspection Template - Download Here
What you need to know
1) All trenches and excavations must be free of recognized hazards.
2) All trenches and excavations require inspection by a command designated (in writing) competent person to ensure stability and safety.
3) All trenches and excavations that are 4 feet in depth or greater require a safe means of egress (ladder, stairway, ramp).
4) All trenches and excavations that are 5 feet in depth or greater require a protective system to safeguard personnel health (shoring, shielding, sloping, benching).
5) All trenches and excavations are assumed the classification of (Type C soil) unless they pass physical and visual tests by the competent person.
6) All trenches and excavations that are 4 feet in depth or greater are considered a confined space, and must be treated accordingly.
For additional information, please contact Camilla Llantada @ (760) 763-5328 or Mr. Dale Waldren (Email link on name if possible)@ (760) 763-2366. Or send an email to CPEN_SAFE_TRNG@usmc.mil