HomeNew PersonnelWeapons Registration
Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton


Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton

"The West Coast's Premiere Expeditionary Training Base"
Weapons Registration

Base Regulations require that all privately-owned weapons brought aboard Marine Corps Base, Camp Pendleton for storage must be registered within 72 hours after having been introduced on board the military installation.
Personal weapons will be registered at the Police Records section (Bldg. 1523, Mon-Fri from 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., telephone 725-0819). 
Additionally, personnel will deregister their weapons within 72 hours of their sale or removal from the base.
Persons living in Base Housing are authorized to store weapons in their quarters. Marines living in BEQs/BOQs are required to store their weapons in their unit armory.

MCIWEST-MCB CAMPENO 5000.2 states:

"Personal weapons and ammunition will not be kept or stored in barracks, BOQs, BEQs, Temporary Lodging Facilities, in boats kept at the Marina, in any vehicle in storage lots, or office spaces. Privately-owned weapons and ammunition owned by personnel residing in BOQs, BEQs, and barracks will be stored in unit armories."

"Personnel residing in family housing (other than the temporary lodging facilities) may store their registered weapons in their quarters. All weapons and ammunition will be stored in approved containers. Weapons containers must be capable of being locked. All weapons will be fitted with a trigger lock."
Storage of any ammunition greater than small arms ammunition, to include explosives, in government owned quarters is prohibited.
"Weapons will not be routinely carried or stored in vehicles."

MCIWEST_MCB CAMPENO 5000.2 requires that the following weapons be registered:
(1) Pistols/Revolvers
(2) Rifles
(3) Shotguns
(4) BB/Pellet Guns
(5) Paint Guns
(6) Historical type weapons
(7) Crossbows
(8) Bows (conventional or compound)
(9) Spear Guns
(10) Assault Weapons*
(11) Knives**
(12) Martial Arts Weapons***

*Assault Weapons and .50 Calibre BMG (Browning Machine Gun) Rifles, as defined by California Penal Code sections 12275-12278 can only be registered on base after they have been registered with the California Department of Justice. Please direct questions to DOJ at (916) 263-4887, or http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

**Knives. All knives (to include swords and axes) primarily designed for offensive or defensive use, including folding knives with blades over 6 inches long, will be registered. This does not include kitchen knives or ceremonial swords with unsharpened edges/points, or folding knives with blades under 6 inches long.

***Martial arts weapons (e.g., nunchaku, tonfa, bo, etc.) may be possessed and registered on Base if the owner is certified to teach or is a bona fide student of that art of self-defense and is doing so through the Assistant Chief of Staff, Marine Corps Community Services or a nationally or internationally accredited dojo (i.e., school) off of the military installation.

Transportation Procedures:

Persons over the age of 18 years who reside or are temporarily aboard the military reservation may transport and carry any non-prohibited weapons, whether capable of being concealed upon the person or not, provided that the following applies to the weapon:

a. The weapon is within a motor vehicle, and it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment.

b. The weapon is carried by the person directly to and from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose (i.e., collectors organization meeting, hunter safety class, recognized sporting event involving that weapon, gun shop, gun show, or swap meet, target range, etc.) and while carrying the weapon, the weapon is unloaded and contained within a locked container.

c. As used in this directive, “locked container” is defined as a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. The term “locked container” does not include the utility or glove compartment.

d. A firearm shall be deemed to be loaded for the purposes of this directive when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell, consisting of a case which holds a charge of powder and a bullet or shot, in or attached to in any manner to the firearm, including but not limited to, in the firing chamber or magazine, clip, or speed loader. Refusal to allow law enforcement or security personnel to inspect a firearm pursuant to the provisions of this paragraph constitutes probable cause for apprehension/detention for violation of this requirement.

e. Weapons will not be routinely carried or stored in vehicles. In addition, razors without a guarded blade or common tools such as hatchets, axes, screwdrivers, hammers, and similar items shall be carried locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in the rear most cargo area, furthest from the driver when the vehicle has no trunk.

Registration Procedures:
It is not necessary to bring the weapon to the Police Records section to register the weapon if the owner has a Dealer’s Receipt of Sale.

Unique Requirements for Handgun Owners:
Registering your handgun on base does not fulfill your requirement to register the handgun with the State of California.

Per the California Department of Justice:
Any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days:

1. Complete and submit a NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT form to the Department of Justice. A separate report form and fee is required for each handgun reported. NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT forms can be obtained from California Department of Motor Vehicles' offices, licensed firearms dealers, local police and sheriff's departments, the California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms at (916) 263-4887, or http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

2. Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California licensed firearms dealer or to another individual using a California licensed firearms dealer to conduct the transaction. Or

3. Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California police or sheriff's department. Persons choosing this option should contact the law enforcement agency for instructions prior to transporting the handgun(s) to the agency.

Persons who purchase a new handgun from MCCS are automatically registered with the California Department of Justice.

For questions concerning weapons registration aboard Camp Pendleton contact the Marine Corps Police Department’s Support Services Division at (760) 725-0819 / DSN: 365-0819 - Fax (760) 725-0820 / DSN: 365-0820.