Banner Icon could not be loaded.


Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
The VITA program provides free individual income tax preparation for all military personnel and family members eligible for legal assistance (e.g. active duty, retirees, reservists, dependants, etc.). The program is a partnership between the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Military.

VITA will make special accomidations to deploying service members and Gold Star members.

Directions to VITA

VITA is now open to servicemembers, retirees and their families. VITA is free of charge and operates on a first come first serve basis. In addition, VITA now has the ability to send tax preparers to your units to bring Marines up to full tax prepared readiness. As the tax season moves forward, VITA will become busier and will not be able to provide these options, so please contact VITA ASAP.


Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet (Bring this form filled out to expedite the check in process)

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is VITA?
VITA's office is located on Mainside in Bldg. 1687 year-round.
VITA Clerk: (760) 763-2518
VITA Fax: (760) 763-2516

Am I eligible to receive assistance at VITA?
As stated above, the Military VITA program provides free individual (not business) income tax preparation for all military personnel and their families eligible for legal assistance; in other words, active duty, retirees, and reservists.

What are your hours of operation?
We are open on Mon.-Fri. from 0800-1600 and closed Saturdays on Sundays. Will only be open till April 30. After April 30 please contact Legal Assistance (760) 725-7551

What do I need to bring?
- TheIntake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet filled out.(To expedite check-in process)
- Military Identification Card(s)
- Social Security Card(s) for yourself and anyone you intend to claim on your taxes 
- Power of Attorney (e.g., Married Filing Joint, Spouse Deployed)
- Last Year’s Federal and State Tax Returns
- Economic Stimulus Payment IRS Notice CP 1378 (to obtain required information visit IRS.GOV to obtain a printout of what you received it can be used in lieu of CP 1378)
- Wage statements – Form W-2
- Pension or Retirement Income – Form 1099R
- Record of Purchase or Sale of Residence
- Alimony Paid or Received (Payer’s/Payee’s Name and Social Security Number)
- IRA Contributions
- Student Loan Interest - Form 1098-E
- Rental Income and expenses
- Interest and Dividend Income – Form 1099-INT/ Form-1099-DIV
- State Income Tax Refund Amount – Form 1099-G
- Social Security Income – Form SSA-1099
- Unemployment Income – Form 1099-G
- Commissions Received/Paid information on sales of Stocks or Bonds – Form 1099-B
- Self-Employment Business Income & expenses and any Form 1099-MISC
- Lottery or Gambling Winnings Form W-2G
- Income from Partnerships, S Corporations
Trusts and Estates-Schedule K-1

Where is the Main VITA office located?
We are located on Mainside. If you are coming from the front gate, you go down Vandergrift like your going through Mainside to get to the back gate. Turn right on 11th St, left on C St., right on 7th St. and our office is going to be a 2 story building on your left hand side. We are on the first floor. BLDG 1687

What do I need to bring?
Military ID, all W2s, Social Security Cards of anyone you intend to claim, all IRS forms (ex: 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, Mortgage interest statement, Property statements, 1098-T, EIN or SSN for Day Care) documentation for Itemized Deductions.

Does VITA prepare Schedule C?
We can complete Schedule C returns on a limited basis, but for complicated returns you must contact a tax professional.

Can I make an appointment?
Yes, call a VITA Clerk at (760) 763-2518

Does my spouse have to be there if I am filing a joint return?
Unless you have a Power of Attorney giving you permission to sign for your spouse or are filing a paper return, your spouse does need to be present with you to sign the e-file 8879 form required by the IRS.

Do you prepare amendments to previous year’s taxes?
Yes. However, we are very busy during the tax season assisting tax payers with current year returns. We ask that any amendments that need to be filed wait until after April 15th

What do I need to bring when I do amend my taxes?
You need to bring your original return and documentation for any information that needs to get fixed, added or removed.

I have a specific tax question not addressed here. Where can I go to find the answer?
The best resource, believe it or not, is the IRS. They are here to help you. Much information can be found on their website, or obtained by calling them on their helpline toll free at 1-800-829-1040. You might also try your local office which can be found on the IRS website.