The bicycle portion of the annual Ironman Triathlon will take place aboard the installation on Saturday, 29 March 2014.
The race has a closed bike course that travels through the Del Mar Gate, over the I-5 overpass, then down Vandegrift (detouring behind the Commissary) and up Stuart Mesa Rd. The course goes up and back on Las Pulgas Rd before exiting the base and using the Coast Highway 101. The race comes back on the base via Cristianitos Rd towards San Mateo Rd. The course then turns south onto Basilone Rd and then west on Vandegrift Blvd retracing the inbound course after the Stuart Mesa Rd intersection.
In order to facilitate this event the below traffic control procedures will be in place from 6:00a.m. until approximately 2:00p.m. on Saturday, 29 March 2014 as described below:
· Camp Del Mar (21 Area): Will be highly congested from 6:00a.m.-2:00p.m., 29 March 2014. It is highly advised that residents and employees avoid vehicular travel within this area during this time frame. The I-5 overpass will be closed to outbound traffic from 6:30a.m. until approximately 2:00p.m. on this day. Residents and employees of Camp Del Mar (21 Area) will be able to access the camp/area via the overpass during the race, but will only be able to exit the area via the Del Mar Gate. Major traffic delays can be expected on Santa Fe Drive during this time frame.
· Vandegrift Boulevard: From 6:30a.m. until approximately 2:00p.m. the far right westbound lane of Vandegrift Blvd will be closed to vehicular traffic from the Basilone Rd intersection to the Wire Mountain Rd intersection. Eastbound traffic on Vandegrift Blvd. will not be affected.
· Stuart Mesa Road: Will be open to southbound traffic only from the Las Pulgas Gate to Vandegrift Blvd. This means that drivers wishing to access the Camp Las Flores (41 Area), Edson Range (31 Area), or Stuart Mesa Housing will be able to do so ONLY through Las Pulgas Gate. Those wishing to exit from these areas must drive south to Vandegrift Boulevard. Drivers should expect two hour delays along Stuart Mesa Rd between Stuart Mesa Housing and Vandegrift Blvd from 6:30a.m. to 2:00p.m.. It is highly recommended that Stuart Mesa Housing residents avoid this portion of Stuart Mesa Road during this time frame.
· Las Pulgas Road: Will be closed to all vehicles from Stuart Mesa/ Las Pulgas Rd “Y” intersection to Basilone Rd There will be no access to Camp Las Pulgas (43 Area) from the Las Pulgas Gate or from Stuart Mesa Road. All of Camp Las Pulgas (43 Area) will be accessible via northbound travel on Basilone Road only. Residents of Camp Las Pulgas (43 Area) that desire to exit the installation will be required to access Basilone Road northbound and off the installation via the Cristianitos gate.
· Basilone Road: There will be two-way traffic on Basilone Road from Vandegrift Blvd to Vado Del Rio (25 Area). From Vado Del Rio to Camp San Onofre (52 Area), there will be northbound traffic only on Basilone Road. Personnel desiring to exit Vado Del Rio or Camp Santa Margarita (33 Area) and travel in the direction of Vandegrift Blvd should expect an approximately 30 minute delay from 7:30a.m. until 2:00p.m. on this day. Drivers will be able to access Camp Horno (53 Area) by traveling North on Basilone Rd only. Since there will be no access to Basilone Rd from the Las Pulgas Gate, personnel wishing to enter Camp Horno (53 Area) must access Basilone Rd from Vandegrift Blvd. Basilone Rd from I-5 will be open in both directions for San Onofre Housing (51 Area) ONLY. Personnel traveling north on Basilone Rd from SOI (52 Area) will be required to exit the installation via the Cristianitos Gate.
· Christianitos Road: Will be open to “in” and “outbound” traffic from the Cristianitos I-5 overpass to the San Mateo Campground (this is to allow campers to get into and out of the campground). From the Campground, Cristianitos Rd will only be closed to inbound traffic (i.e. traffic going to Camps Talega or Mateo). There will only be outbound traffic via Cristianitos Gate. Both Camps (62/64 Areas) will have to access Cristianitos Road from Basilone Road. Major traffic delays can be expected during this time frame. Note: ALL off ramp and on ramps that feed on base from the Christianitos Rd I-5 overpass will be closed. Residents of Camps San Mateo (62 Area) and Talega (64 Area) will have to exit the I-5 further north into San Clemente (i.e. exit I-5 South or North at Avenida Del Presidente and travel south on El Camino Real to Christianitos Rd. Residents of San Mateo Point Housing will be able to access both northbound and southbound I-5 by driving north on Avenida Del Presidente to Avenida Calafia.