Ironman 70.3 California at Oceanside
Saturday, April 6 • 0600 - 1400
The bicycle portion of the annual Ironman Triathlon will take place aboard the installation on Saturday, April 6, 2019 from 0600-1400. The race has a closed bike course that travels in the Del Mar Gate, to the A Street Bridge, then down Vandegrift (detouring behind the Commissary) and up Stuart Mesa Road. The course goes up and back on Las Pulgas Road before exiting the base and using the old Hwy 101. The race comes back on the base via Cristianitos Road to San Mateo Road. The course turns south onto Basilone Rd and then west on Vandegrift Blvd retracing the inbound course after the Stuart Mesa Rd intersection. In order to facilitate this event the below traffic control procedures will be in place from 0600 until approximately 1400 as described below.
• Camp Del Mar (21 Area): Will be highly congested from 0600-1400, 6 April 2019. It is highly advised that residents and employees avoid vehicular travel within this area during this time frame.
The Del Mar overpass/A Street (bridge) will be closed to outbound traffic from 0630 until approximately 1400 on this day. Residents and employees of Camp Del Mar (21 Area) attempting to access the camp will be required to exit through the Main Gate, make a U-turn at the traffic light, re-enter through the main gate, and merge onto Wire Mountain Rd / A Street (bridge) entrance ramp from Eastbound Vandegrift. Major traffic delays can be expected on Santa Fe Drive during this time frame. Lastly, Del Mar Residents will be able to exit the Del Mar Gate for access to Harbor Drive during the race period (expect traffic delays).
• Vandegrift Boulevard: From 0630 until approximately 1300 the far right Westbound lane of Vandegrift Boulevard will be closed to vehicular traffic from the Basilone Road intersection to the intersection of Wire Mountain Road and Vandegrift Blvd. Eastbound traffic on Vandegrift Blvd will not be affected.
• Stuart Mesa Road: Will be open to Northbound traffic only from Macs Rd to Las Pulgas Gate. This means that drivers wishing to access the Camp Las Flores (41 Area), Edson Range (31 Area), or Stuart Mesa Housing will be able to do so ONLY accessing Stuart Mesa Rd from Vandegrift Blvd. Those wishing to exit from these areas must drive North to Las Pulgas Rd and exit the installation. Drivers should expect up to a 2 hour delay attempting to travel North onto Stuart Mesa Road from Vandegrift Boulevard from 0630 to 1300. At approx. 1030, Las Pulgas Gate will be open to inbound and outbound traffic coinciding Stuart Mesa Rd will be open to Northbound and Southbound traffic from Las Pulgas Rd to Macs Rd. It is highly recommended that Stuart Mesa Housing residents avoid this portion of Stuart Mesa Road during this time frame.
• Las Pulgas Gate: Access only for inbound traffic for Las Flores (41 Area) from 0630-1030. At approx. 1030 the gate will be open to inbound and outbound traffic for 41 and 43 Areas.
• Las Pulgas Road: Will be closed to all vehicles from Stuart Mesa/ Las Pulgas Road “Y” intersection to Basilone Road.
There will be no access to Camp Las Pulgas (43 Area) from the Las Pulgas Gate, or from Stuart Mesa Road. All of Camp Las Pulgas (43 Area) will be accessible via northbound travel on Basilone Road only. Residents of Camp Las Pulgas (43 Area) that desire to exit the installation will be required to access Basilone Road northbound and off the installation via the Cristianitos gate.
• Basilone Road: There will be two-way traffic on Basilone Road from Vandegrift Boulevard to Vado Del Rio (25 Area). From Vado Del Rio to Camp San Onofre (52 Area), there will be northbound traffic only on Basilone Road. Personnel desiring to exit Vado Del Rio or Camp Santa Margarita (33 Area) and travel in the direction of Vandegrift Blvd should expect an approximately 30 minute delay from 0730 until 1300 on this day.
Drivers will be able to access Camp Horno (53 Area) by traveling North on Basilone Road only. Since there will be no access to Basilone Road from the Las Pulgas Gate, personnel wishing to enter Camp Horno (53 Area) must access Basilone Road from Vandegrift Blvd.
Basilone Road from I-5 will be open in both directions for San Onofre Housing (51 Area) only. Personnel traveling north on Basilone Road from SOI (52 Area) will be required to exit the installation via the Cristianitos Gate.
• Christianitos Road: Will be open to “in” and “outbound” traffic from the Cristianitos I-5 over pass to the San Mateo Campground (this is to allow campers to get into and out of the campground). From the Campground, Cristianitos Rd will only be closed to inbound traffic (i.e. traffic going to Camps Talega or Mateo). There will only be outbound traffic via Cristianitos Gate. Both Camps (62/64 Areas) will have to access Cristianitos Road from Basilone Road. Major traffic delays can be expected during this time frame.
Note: ALL off ramps and on ramps that feed on base from the Christianitos Rd I-5 over pass will be closed. Residents of Camps San Mateo (62 Area) and Talega (64 Area) will have to exit the I-5 further north into San Clemente (i.e. exit I-5 South or North at Avenida Del Presidente and travel south on El Camino Real to Christianitos road.
Residents of San Mateo Point Housing will be able to access both Northbound and Southbound I-5 by driving North on Avenida Del Presidente to Avenida Calafia.